Sunday, July 14, 2019

When you get to the MTC, if someone asks where you're going, the answer is not "the cafeteria"



We had some fun times in the MTC.   On the first day, I learned that when someone asks, "Where are you going?" the answer is not, "the cafeteria" but "Bolivia."  I had lots of surprises on my mission, but the MTC was definitely one of them.  I didn't really know what to expect.

We had some funny elders in my district.  Elder Trover was a big guy who love to draw and draw all sorts of fun comics for us.  His companion was Elder Lentz who was Asian American and could keep a straight face like no one I've met before or since.  Occasionally Elder Lentz would pretend he had Parkinson's disease and his eyes would glaze over and he would ignore us and shake his head a little.  It was a bit on on the immature side, but it was still amazing how he could keep a straight face no matter what we did.  One time he took it way too far--we were in the cafeteria and he started his Parkinson's bit.  We did the usual things to play along and then try to make him snap out of it and he wouldn't do it.  Some other sister missionaries were completely worried about him and angry at us for not taking the situation more seriously.  We reassured them it was a game but they didn't believe and insisted we take him to the medical people.  They were convinced that he had had a mental breakdown.  The more they insisted the funnier it all became and the more determined Elder Lentz was to make a liar of us and so he persisted.  I don't remember if we took him to the doctors or what happened.  I know he didn't snap out of it until those sisters were long gone.  I think Elder Trover carried him out of the cafeteria at some point.  We had a lot of fun with those Elders.  And the crazy thing is that I barely remember their faces and names now.  We all went to different Spanish speaking missions.

No comments:

Post a Comment