Sunday, July 7, 2019

Bolivia: Step two in abandoning materialism

The morning I left for the MTC, my dad gave me a father's blessing.  He had once heard an apostle suggest that once in your child's life, you should give a special blessing, record it, and transcribe it--much like a patriarchal blessing.

A week or so after I arrived at the MTC, he sent me the copy of this beautiful blessing.  It has been so helpful to me through the years--especially as I make major life decisions or need some encouragement. 

One paragraph says this, "I bless you as you leave on your mission.  You have a great opportunity in front of you and a blessing that many don't get.  You have a chance to preach the gospel and to work with humble people and help them.  As you go into the mission field, I bless you with the gift of language so that you'll love the language and learn it as well as you can because it will be a great tool for you during your mission and also afterward.  I bless you that you can feel the true joy of service.  As you serve in the mission field and are open to the the things of the Spirit, write down lessons you learn and promptings you feel so that you can recall these things later in your life and they will be a guide to you.  I bless you that your chance to work among the poor and the humble people will serve as a way to inoculate you against the disease of materialism that we have in our country.  If you can find a way after you return from your mission to remember the feelings you had in Bolivia, it will be a great blessing in your life.  You will learn about needs and wants and what's really important in life and how happiness truly comes.  As you get back from your mission and you have your own family, if you can recall and put these principles into practice, you won't be swayed by the world.  I bless you that you can help your companions and that you will be a blessing to your mission president and that you can be obedient.  I bless you that this experience will be a powerful help to you through the rest of your life."

Looking back at this blessing, I feel certain that the blessings were fulfilled.  

The blessing that strikes me the most is the one concerning materialism.  Nothing in my life could have prepared me for what I found in Bolivia.  Large families would often live in one room homes made of mud bricks with corrugated metal for roofs.  Sometimes the walls would plastered on the insides and painted over, but sometimes not.  Most people had no refrigeration, so they would go to the market each day.  Many had no running water inside their homes, or indoor plumbing.  Sometimes they would share a common bathroom with their neighbors.  If a person owned a car, he was a taxi driver.  Most used buses to get around (though a taxi ride cost about 5 Bolivianos which equaled about $1).  People worked hard and did their best.   Some were better off than others, but very few people I ever worked with in a ward or in a neighborhood were overly concerned with having the best and finest things.  They were grateful for what they did have.

These people were happy too.  They were friends with their neighbors and relied on one another.  They lent each other money freely, though they had very little.  They were generous as they shared their best with us.  The members dressed in their best to come to church, despite their small means.  I was so impressed with them.

The lesson I think I learned the most was that you don't need money to make you happy.  Living a righteous life is what leads to happiness, not what we acquire.  

This is a lesson I think of often.  Despite my dad's blessing, materialism has been hard to avoid.  I have done small things and large with the background of my mission in mind.  For example, when Rob proposed, I told him I didn't want a diamond ring.  He got one anyway, but I made him take it back.  

We have (so far) always chosen apartments and homes that are close to school and work, even when the newer places further away seem tempting.  We have prioritized time with our family over having a nicer home.

Also, up to this point, I haven't worked outside the home.  My priority has been my family and serving others.  Luckily that has been possible for us financially, but it has come at some sacrifice.  I often have to go without nice things in order to make our budget work. 

Our cars so far have never been fancy.  This is part of the sacrifice of living on one income, but I think it is one of my biggest reminders of what is important to me--I think of it every time I look at the peeling paint on my van or am embarrassed to drive it around.  

One way I have been keeping the memory fresh lately is by volunteering with refugees, mainly from Africa.  When I am around them, I can't help but see that same joy in these people's lives--gratitude for what they do have and a strong sense of community and belonging.  They are blown away by the fact that I don't work--they think I am so rich.  And really, I really am.  I live on the east side of Salt Lake City and have a rich education and a delightful family.  I have everything I need and even many things I want.  How can I feel bad that my car is 15 years old and my basement is in disrepair?  I mean--I have a car!  I have a basement!  

Not a day goes by I don't think of Bolivia.  I loved the people and the culture.  I have often considered moving back (Rob is not on board).  I will forever be grateful for the example they set for me of gratitude and happiness.  


1 comment: